Currency exchange rate
Saldus Martin Luther’s Evangelical Lutheran Church
25/27 Skrundas Street
The need for another Lutheran church appeared when the second Evangelical Lutheran parish was established in Saldus. The local, wealthier land owners and industrialists decided to start building a new church and donated funds, building materials, transportation and labour to the cause. The church was designed by architect P. Dreimanis and built in 1934 with the support of parish members on land donated to the parish. The altar painting “Jesus Christ Blesses The Fields” was painted by artist E. Dolmanis.
Sts. Peter and Paul`s Roman Catholic Church Saldus
16 J. Rozentāla Street
The existence of a Roman Catholic Church in Saldus was first mentioned in 1461. However, the parish was established in 1923. The parish has twice attempted to build a catholic church in Saldus – in 1940 and in 1947, both times unsuccessfully. This was their third and finally successful attempt.
The construction of the new Sts. Peter and Paul church began in the autumn of 1999. The church was designed by architect Aigars Andersons from Saldus. The church was built for money raised through contributions by worshippers and other well-wishers from Latvia and abroad. The parishioners have also invested a lot of time and effort as well as contributed financially to build the church. The construction and improvement work was completed in 2008.
The Orthodox Church of the Lord’s Appearance
26 Striku Street
The church was built at the end of the 19th century. The local Russian Orthodox congregation strengthened and enlarged during the Russian government period before World War I. Interesting icons of the 19th century - “The Resurrection of Christ”, “Christ the Ruler” and “The Virgin of Kazan” - can be viewed at the church.
Saldus St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church
2 Kuldīgas Street
The oldest building of the town and the first stone made church in Saldus built in 1615, but re-designed by Wilhelm Neumann and rebuilt at the end of 19th century. Unique art monuments are to be found in the church: organ made by K.A. Hermann – a famous expert from Liepāja, a pulpit in mannerism style and the 19th century altar with the altar painting of J. Dering.
The well-known Latvian artist Janis Rozentāls has pictured the church in many of his paintings at the turn of the 20th century. His diploma work “After the Service” is particularly notable.